Saturday, October 23, 2010

Things I love from The Internet Today

From Shakesville....because that's pretty much all I read anymore. So just consider this a public file cabinet. I tried coming up with witty and interesting commentary, but damn if these folks can't put it just right every time. Short me: THIS! LIKE! AGREE!

"I am so glad this did happen in case another one of my friends ever gets beat up again and im serious about that."

I hate the phrase "politically correct," which has just become a phrase used to (unsuccessfully) mask a sneering contempt for basic decency. If you're someone who has the nerve to suggest that marginalized people should be treated with dignity and respect, you're "politically correct," which not only disdains the fundamental kindness of acknowledging another person's, or one's own, agency and humanity, but also implicitly suggests that you aren't principled: You don't believe that shit; you're just being politically correct.

(quote from Skepchick.org)
I find it incomprehensible how politicians like O’Donnell talk a big game about freedom and liberty, while out the other sides of their mouths seem to be calling for the imposition of medieval sexual morality, if not in law, in what is to be seen as proper behavior for “good people”. Even more incomprehensible to me is the fact that people buy into it. If we truly live in a free country, then as consenting adults, we are free to do as we will with regard to our own bodies. Perhaps sensing this internal inconsistency, they will often attempt to frame these moralizations into arguments about how “sexual deviance” is the root of all our social and political problems; thus making public problems out of our private lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment