Sunday, October 19, 2008

Low Iron

So I went to donate blood this week, and was turned down for low iron. I descended upon the grocery store to get foods high in iron, but by the labels I did not get enough. So I proceeded to the supplement section, and it was right at the pharmacy counter. The pharmacist insisted on being helpful, even though I only planned on getting one of the Centrum or 1-a-Day multivitamins. I left with two bottles (bogo) of pre-natal vitamins. Huh, ok, I guess*.

I just looked up the symptoms of low iron...and well now many things that I thought were a result of being crazy busy with school and slightly wacky in the head are clearly both real and serious. Glad I got the vitamins.

  • Fatigue
  • Listlessness, weakness, decreased work productivity
  • Impaired learning and cognitive function
  • Poor memory
  • Decreased attention span and increased distractibility
  • Impaired reactivity and coordination
  • Irritability
  • Dizziness
  • Difficulty swallowing (because low iron may cause a thin membrane to grow across the esophagus)
  • Night time leg cramps
  • Skin itching
  • Sore tongue
  • Heart palpitations on exertion
  • Shortness of breath
  • Cold extremities, with decreased resistance to cold and poor regulation of body temperature
  • Tendency to recurrent infections
  • Numbness & tingling
  • Vague gastrointestinal symptoms: belching, gas, nausea






*I'm not actually this apathetic about my health, his reasoning made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment