Sunday, February 11, 2007

"Future" "Housewife" calling.


Michael made the mistake recently of saying I would be a Housewife when I get out next month. Ahem. Nothankyew. I will be a full time student. I will work just as hard, or harder, on a daily basis than you do at work, so that I can have a future in a paying job. Besides, to be a housewife you need to have kids. No matter how much babysitting you need, you are not m'kid. So stuff it. And then I thought about it.

Well really I always get pissed about this, but lets pretend I just thought about it. We have had the exact same job since the day we met, and I've been in longer so I've been paid more than him from day one. Yet who does all the housework? Cook, clean, organize, budget, worry, clean? I'm sorry, I'm being unfair. He does manage to take out the trash or do some other thing, if I've nagged him about it a half dozen times, and if he's reached a good save-point, if there exists such a thing it that game.

So, no, I will not be your Housewife. I will just continue to do everything I already do, so as I will not have to live in a pigsty watching my brand new big screen TV with nothing to eat but Pot-pies, Ramen, and ice cream.



Women Still Chief Household Organizers: U.K. Study
WEDNESDAY, Dec. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Three-quarters of British women still do most of the household food shopping and cooking, making them prime targets for better health-promotion policies, researchers say.

Reporting in the British Food Journal, researchers at Newcastle University's Human Nutrition Center surveyed 198 British women and men in their early 30s. Of the women who were married or cohabitating, 79 percent had the chief responsibility for household food shopping, and 72 percent did most of the food preparation and cooking.

About 25 percent of the women said they did the food shopping and cooking because they were more skilled than their husbands/partners in meal planning, budgeting, and preparation and were more in tune with their family's food preferences.
(Nooooo....you're kiddingg.....duhhhh.....)

Other said they did the shopping because they could do it faster than their husband/partner, who was often tempted by "unnecessary treats," the study said.
(You have no idea.)

"Women have made great progress in terms of equal opportunities over the last few decades, so it surprised us to find that many women, even in this relatively young age group, assumed the traditional female role of chief cook and food shopper," lead author and registered dietitian Dr. Amelia Lake said in a prepared statement.

"This work shows how important it is to consider the role of women when developing health intervention policies. Health professionals should also consider this when giving advice on healthy lifestyles and eating," Lake said.

"For instance, there's no point solely advising a diabetic male on how to structure his diet when he isn't doing the food shopping or cooking -- you need to see his wife, too!" Lake said.

No comments:

Post a Comment