Friday, April 20, 2007

No More of This

Well, now I'm mad at myself because apparently I failed to confirm my last post, and it was lost.

The long and short of it was that someone I know managed to show that he had no respect for me, yet again, but this time it was an insult to the firmness in my belief that the life we live now is the only one we have. That someone like me who has reasoned for themselves that the life we have now is the only one we get, would make a "deathbed" or "battlefield" conversion is a deep and burning insult. That he believes all people cower to god when in fear of their lives makes me sick to know him at all.

I know that he is not a Christian because I have had to apologize for him to our friends on uncountable occasions. Turns out, he just has no respect for anyone at all. My spiritual friends, please do not misunderstand me, I know you to be intelligent and decent people. I would never assume that on your deathbed you would throw away all that you believe. By the same token, I don't expect anyone to assume I would throw away the principles by which I have lived my entire life, out of fear. It would be cowardly and mindless and not at all true to who I am. I certainly never expected that assumption from someone who presumably loves me for my intelligence.

The Myth of the Foxhole Atheist

No comments:

Post a Comment