Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Babylon 5



"What does the candle represent?"
"Life."
"Whose life?"
"All life, every life. We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it. So many candles will go out tonight. I wonder some days if we can see anything at all."
Sheridan and Delenn, And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder

"As a friend he would need to protect you. As my husband he would need to protect me from anything that might happen to you."
"I think, in that respect, he does not know you as well as he should."
"He knows me, but he also loves me. And sometimes the one gets in the way of the other."
"Yes, I .. imagine it could do that."

Delenn and Lennier, Meditations on the Aby
"There were other women, but I never got past one."
"You mean first base."
"No, no, I mean one. You see, we have six a .. we have six, you see, and each one is a different level of intimacy and pleasure. So, you know, first you have one, and that's naa-naa. Then there's two .. and by the time you get to five it's ..."
"All I can say is that enthusiasm, sincerity, genuine compassion, and humor can carry you through any .. lack of .. prior experience with .. high numerical value."
"Wow, I'm gonna remember that. Thank you, thank you."
Vir and Ivanova, Sic Transit Vir

And according to one of our units on the border of Centauri space, they've continued massing their fleet. We don't know why. Maybe they expect a counter attack, it's hard to say. And they have much to be concerned about. There's always the threat of an attack by say, a giant space dragon, the kind that leaves the sun every thirty days. It's a nuisance, but what would you expect from reptiles. Did I mention that my nose was on fire? That I have fifteen wild badgers living in my trousers? I'm sorry, would you prefer ferrets?
Marcus to Ivanova, Messages from Earth

I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next ten generations that some favours come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
-Vir Cotto

Londo: Yes, you can help me! Two hours ago. Two hours ago I called you. I told you that there is .. a bug, an insect in my quarters.
Maintenance Worker: Well, we've been a little busy.
Londo: Now, listen to me. I do not like insects. I do not like little brown things with eight legs. I do not like anything with eight legs. Well, except for the Vinzini, but only because they are terrible at cards. Something to do with compound eyes, I think. I want this thing dead!
...
Londo: If you see a large insect about yay long (gestures with his hands) let me know, I must kill it before it develops language skills.

And as far as I'm concerned the transports can wait until the SUN EXPLODES! And if you're not happy with the seating arrangements I will personally order your seats to be moved outside, down the hall, across the station and into the fusion reactor. Am I absolutely, perfectly clear on this?!
-Susan Ivonova

I apologise. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell. As with everything else, it's the thought that counts.
-John Sheridan

Ivanova: With all due respect, that was grade-A stupid. I mean, what if the guy would have gone for it? I mean, what if he would have just blown your brains all over the place? What if he...What's that?
Sheridan: Energy cap. I palmed it when I shoved the gun in his pocket.
Ivanova: You are going to give me an ulcer.
Sheridan: Okay, okay, next time I'll give him a live gun. You really do want that promotion, don't you?

Sheridan: Commander. Did you threaten to grab a hold of this man by the collar and throw him out an airlock?
Ivanova: Yes I did.
Sheridan: I'm shocked. Shocked and dismayed. I'd remind you that we are short on supplies here. We can't afford to take perfectly good clothing and throw it out into space. Always take the jacket off first, I told you that before. Sorry, she meant to say striped naked and thrown out an airlock. I apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.

This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw, ... or be destroyed.
Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
- Delenn and Captain Drake, Severed Dreams

Hello Delenn. Now, I was thinking, you couldn't come to the ceremony, the ceremony should come to you. I've given up something that really mattered to me, the uniform and everything that goes with it. I've never told anyone before now.. When you were hurt, when you were in my arms, I was ready to kill that guy with my bare hands. I realized I have never told you how much I cared about you, how much you mean to me. I think it's time you knew that. I can no longer imagine my world .. without you in it. I don't .. know exactly when or how it happened, .. but I'm glad it did.
- Sheridan to Delenn, Ceremonies of Light and Dark

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
- Ranger Marcus Cole to Franklin, A Late Delivery from Avalon

What guarantees will you give me that the crews will not open fire on a Centauri vessel as it approaches Babylon5?
It's the same guarantee I gave when I said that none of the other Narns would break into your quarters in the middle of the night and slit your throat.
Mr. Garibaldi, you have never given me that promise.
You're right. Sleep tight.
- Londo and Garibaldi, Walkabout

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
- G'Kar, Survivors

And just one more thing, on your trip back I'd like you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 Mantra:

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations.
Ivanova is God.
And, if this ever happens again,
Ivanova will personally RIP YOUR LUNGS OUT!!!
Babylon Control Out.
*sigh* Civilians. Just kidding about that God part. No offense."
- Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova, Voice in the Wilderness Part I

I realize that I always defined myself in terms of what I wasn't. I wasn't a good soldier like my father. I wasn't the job. I wasn't a good prospect for marriage or kids. Always what I wasn't, never what I was. And when you do that, you miss the moments. And the moments are all we've got. When I thought I was going to die, even after everything that's happened, I realized I didn't want to let go. I was willing to do it all over again, and this time I could appreciate the moments. I can't go back, but I can appreciate what I have right now. And I can define myself by what I am instead of what I'm not.
Click here to see a tribute video for Richard Biggs, who played Dr. Steven Franklin.


You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras.
Zathras, Babylon Squared
Excuse me, I need to see Draal.
Oh, Draal is very busy! Have had four ground quakes on other side of planet. Damage to weather control system, to great machine.
Zathras!
Yes?
What the hell are you doing here?
Zathras work here. Zathras were born here. You work up there, Zathras work down here. You dress like that, Zathras dress like this.
That's not--
Just covering all possibilities. Zathras does not want you being confoosed. Bye.
Hey! Wait a minute! You are not supposed to be here. We left you a thousand years in the past.
No! We have never met before. But Zathras very pleased to be meeting you.
No, we have met.
No. Oh. No, noo. No no. You did not meet Zathras. You met Zathras.
No, that was not Zathras, that was Zathras. There are 10 of us, all of family Zathras, each one named Zathras. Slight differences in how you pronounce. Zathraas, Zathras, Zathras.. You are seeing now?
There are ten of you?
Yes! Well, nine now.
Zathras and Ivanova, Conflicts of Interest
ZAthras: G'day, ZaTHras.
ZaTHras: How are you, ZAthras?
ZAthras: Fine, ZaTHras. Where's ZathrAs?
ZaTHras: He's not here, ZAthras.
ZAthrAs: Wait. Here's the boss fellow now! ZathrAs! How are you doing?
ZathrAs: Fine. Mates, I've brought a new chap here from Pommieland. Michael, ZAthras, ZAthras, Michael.
Michael, ZaTHras, ZaTHras, Michael. Michael, ZAthrAs, ZAthrAs, Michael. Michael's going to be joining us here, working on the great machine. ZAthras, ZaTHras, and ZAthrAs: G'Day!
Michael: Hello.
ZAthras: Is your name not Zathras?
Michael: No, it's Michael.
ZAthrAs: That's going to cause a little confusion.
ZaTHras: Mind if we call you ZathraS to keep things clear?
Babylon 5/Monty Python parody

Everyone always coming to Zathras with problems. Great responsibilities. But Zathras does not mind. Zathras trained in crisis management.
That's great, lets--
But only Zathras have no-one to talk to. No-one manages poor Zathras, you see. So Zathras talks to dirt. Sometimes talks to walls, or talks to ceilings. But dirt is closer. Dirt is used, through everyone walking on it. Just like Zathras, but we've come to like it. It is our role. It is our destiny in the universe. So, you see, sometimes dirt has insects in it. And Zathras likes insects. Not so good for conversation, but much protein for diet. Ha! Zathras fix now, this way.
Zathras and Ivanova, Conflicts of Interest

There you are. Being very honored to meet you. I'm being called..
Zathras. We've met before on Babylon 4.
No. .. Zathras does not..
It was my past, your future. Zathras, this is very important. When you meet me again, it will be me, but it won't be me now. So, you are not say anything that may change the past. Do you understand?
Zathras understand. .. No. Zathras not understand, but Zathras do. Zathras good at doings, not understandings. Zathras honored to meet you for many reasons.
Zathras and Sinclair, War Without End, Part I
Yes, yes, Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry. Go, go, Zathras take care.
-War Without End, Part I

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes.
-War Without End, Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment